Listed Buildings in the Conservation Area
Flaxton Parish has, within its boundaries, seven Grade II listed buildings, six of which are in the Conservation Area. These listed buildings are:
- Gennel Farm House, East of Gennel Lane
- Flaxton House, The Green (East side)
- Village Farm House, The Green (East side)
- Westfield, The Green, (East side)
- Greenside, The Green, (East side)
- Elm Tree Farm House, The Green, (East side)
- The Old School, The Green, (East side)
Notes on the architectural features of these buildings are given below.
Gennel Farm House
Early 18th century. Rendered brick in English bond, pantile roof, brick stacks. Central entry plan. Two storeys, three bays. Board door with divided overlight. 16 pane sashes throughout. Dentilled eaves course. Tumbled-in and raised gable ends. Swept roof. End stacks.
Late 18th century with late 19th century alterations. Brick in English bond. Rendered to street front, stone quoins. Westmorland slate roof, brick stacks. Central entry with outshut and 19th century service wing to rear! Three storeys, three bays. Six fielded panel door beneath radial fanlight in doorcase with engaged Tuscan columns carrying plain entablature, flanked by two 19th century canted bays with dentilled cornices and sashes. Four pane arched sashes to first and second floors with continuous bands at sill level. Gable coping, shaped kneelers. End stacks. Interior: original late 18th century staircase in front hall with slender turned balusters. Early 19th century wrought-iron fireplaces in first floor bedrooms.
Village Farm House
Early 18th century with 20th century alterations. Brick in English bond, French tile roof, 20th century brick stacks. Three-cell lobby entrance plan. Two storeys, three first floor windows. 20th century half glazed door, with two windows to left and one to right, all two-light Yorkshire sashes beneath brick arches. Two-course first floor band. Above: Two-light Yorkshire sashes beneath brick arches. Tumbled-in and coped gables with shaped kneelers. Left end and ridge stacks. Roof line raised.
Early/mid 19th century. Brick in Flemish bond, Westmorland slate roof, brick stacks. Central hallway entry. Two storeys, three bays. Six-fielded panel door with overlight, between engaged fluted Doric columns supporting friezes with rosettes and plain cornice. All windows 20th century 16 pane sashes with stone keyed flat arches and stone sills. Gable coping, shaped kneelers. End stacks.
Early 19th century with late 19th century addition. Brick in Flemish bond, pantile roof, brick stack. Central hall entry. Two storeys, three bays. Six-panel door with overlight in moulded door case with brackets holding cornice. All windows 16 pane sashes in flush frames with stone sills and flat brick arches. Dentilled eaves course. Tumbled-in and coped gables, shaped kneelers. End stacks.
Elm Tree Farm House
Two houses, now one with extension. Early 18th century with 19th century extension. Brick in English bond, pantile roof, brick stacks. Former two-cell lobby entry house and attached cottage, now converted to three-cell lobby entry plan. Two storeys, three first floor windows. 20th century six-fielded panel door.
To left: two 16 pane sashes beneath brick arches, with straight join between and a blocked window to extreme right.
To right: 20th century casement.
First floor: 16 pane sashes with blocked window to extreme left. Dentilled eaves course. Tumbled in gable ends. Swept roof. End and ridge stacks.
19th century extension not of special interest. Included for group considerations.
The Old School
A former village school of 1867 aimed at educating the poorest children of a rural village before the introduction of the 1870 Education Act, this building is deemed an unusual survival. The red brick work is enhanced by the pale brick dressings and fish scale slates, the roofs with deeply overhanging eaves. There have been few additions or extensions to the original footprint. The clock is by William Potts of Leeds and although a later addition around 1897 it is a positive feature adding interest to the building and survives intact with its original winding mechanism.